On Dragon's Dogma 2 Being Review Bombed

 

I’m Glad It’s Happening

Discussing Microtransactions and Corporate Greed

And before you decide it’s time to legalize witch hunting to hunt me and burn me
and my house down, let me defend my case.
Before anything, I want to say that I was VERY excited about Dragon’s Dogma 2.
I was yapping at my friends every time I had a chance about how I believed
Dragon’s Dogma 2 was going to be a GOTY contender.
I mean, Dragon’s Dogma 1, with its problems and all, was a fantastic game,
and everything shown about its sequel was pointing out to be just a greater,
more polished version of the first game.
And I was all for it. 

I wanted more than anyone for this game to be good.
And even though I haven’t played it, based on what I’ve seen and analyzed,
I still think the game is really good. (ignoring performance issues, of course — Which I hope will be patched soon enough).
But Capcom had to go and ruin everything with its microtransactions.
And for those thinking it’s not that big of a deal,
let me explain why it's even scummier than you think.

Dragon’s Dogma 2 Microtransactions Are Not Targeting Us

This game’s microtransactions offer access to purchasable items that
can be obtained inside the game. Let me say that up front for those who are
already thinking about using this information to excuse Capcom’s behavior.

You can indeed get these items inside of the game.

I’m not sure if you can get all of them, but that is not the point.
As it happens in the real world, two things can be true at the same time.
The second truth to this story is that these microtransactions
are not targeting the people who know this information.

These microtransactions target people who aren't familiar with video games and
get caught up in the excitement.

This game’s hype train has been massive, with many influencers and companies
(such as Asmongold and IGN) talking praises about it and being excited about
playing the game.

And it’s not their fault. It’s their job to play games, review them, and offer an opinion.
But we have to understand this:

Not many people are as knowledgeable about games.

And these are the people Capcom is trying to reel with their fishing pole.
They just want to make extra cash from people who will think
“Oh, it’s just $2” without knowing that they can probably
get said item inside the game. 

It’s people who don’t look up for guides or try to improve at the game they play,
they just want to play games.

And this approach is inexcusable. Nothing involving these microtransactions
was done for the benefit of the player but for the company.

And for a SINGLE-PLAYER game that is already $70,
there was no reason to add them.

“But Blue! Capcom Always Does This” Yeah, And?

If you think it’s okay for Capcom to do this just because they’ve always done it,

then you have sadly been domesticated by their tactics.


This is not something that, as a community, we should defend.


Just because something has been done in the past, doesn’t mean it is right.

Just because someone has treated you badly before,

doesn’t mean it’s okay to keep them treating you poorly.


And in the case of Capcom and Dragon’s Dogma 2, there’s no reason to excuse

this attitude. It’s bad, and as a community, we have to acknowledge

this and let our voices be heard.


But we can do more about this situation.


Sadly, companies have no ears or eyes.
Companies only have a sense of touch and they use it to count
the amount of money they are getting.

Our voices are complaints that pretty much mean nothing to them.

But there’s a very effective way to let Capcom know we are not happy
about this situation: 

DON’T BUY THE GAME.

Most of us have been waiting for this game for years!

So don’t worry, I won’t blame you if you decide to get this game.
Under all circumstances, if you want to go for it, go for it,
and when I say I want you to have the most fun with it, I mean it.

But if you think you can handle being patient about this game, please, do so.
Just wait for the game to get a discount so you don’t have to pay $70 for it.

That will, hopefully, let Capcom know (and if we are lucky, other game developers)
that we are not okay with these actions being taken.

And I know I’m asking for a lot.
Hell, I understand how excited some people are for this game.

Go let yourself be immersed if you have to!

But consider to...

Support Worthwhile Developers Instead


There’s not much to say. Go take a look at Larian Studios’ Baldur's Gate III. Even with the success of their game, they still keep releasing updates and improving the game just because they want to make the game even better than it is.


Go take a look at Stardew Valley, a game that added multiplayer co-op even after it was released, and for free, and recently received its 1.6 patch adding a ton of content to the game (EVEN MORE CONTENT THAN IT ALREADY HAS)


Go take a look at Helldivers 2, a game with a lot of issues, but also a lot of potential. A game that is MORE than worth $40, with a developer studio that openly communicates with its fan base and is not scared about taking responsibility for things. A fun game, and even though it has microtransactions, all items in the game can be obtained by just playing the game. 


Go take a look at From Software games, and prepare yourself for the upcoming Elden Ring DLC.


Hell, here is a small list of games to take a look at instead of Dragon’s Dogma 2:

  • Penny Big’s Breakaway

  • Laika: Aged Through Blood

  • Cross Code

  • Bomb Rush Cyberpunk 

  • Pseudoregalia

  • Celeste

  • Go Mecha Ball


And to finish things off, if you truly want the industry to change, vote with your wallets, not your voice.


Comments